- October 4: Ninth grade field trip to World War I trenches at Hartmannswillerkopf in France.
- October 10: Representing BFA at Geneva EXPO for English-speaking expatriates.
- October 13: Juniors take PSAT. I turn 26.
- October 19: End of Quarter 1.
- October 29: Herbstmesse (fall fair in Basel, in which I’m told bumper cars play a prominent role)
- October 30: Cross country finals in Heidelberg.
- Though this was always my hope in coming here, I’ve decided officially to remain at BFA through at least spring 2012 (one school year after this one). I’m thankful for the your prayers for me in the last months, and continued prayers as I get to know this place more fully.
- I have a new address, which I shared in an earlier post.
- Curriculum for October: Arthur Miller’s The Crucible, Cotton Mather, Jonathan Edwards, Edgar Allan Poe, Washington Irving; The French and Indian War, the War of 1812.
I’m Thankful For:
- My students, whose variety and enthusiasm fill these days with interest and unpredictability.
- Liard Leavitt, principal of BFA, who at our faculty retreat provided a weekend of reflection on the relationship of integrity and identity to teaching. (And cooked excellent food for us!)
- Autumn, which promises to be spectacular here in the Land of Deciduousness.
- Skype, which has facilitated great connection with friends and family, new and old.
Please Be in Prayer For:
- Small Group: The first few weeks have been energetic and fast-paced, filled with great stories and laughter. Pray for depth and direction as we read and discuss “What the Bible Says About…” various high school girl topics.
- Staff Decisions: Because the recruiting and application process for new staff begins in November, October is a month of decisions for many staff at BFA about whether they will return next year. Pray for wisdom and guidance for the future for BFA staff members.
If you have questions, want information about supporting financially, or want to share news or prayer requests of your own, please email me at email@example.com. I’d love to hear from you!
As always, thank you for your prayers and support!
Peace in Christ,